Monday, March 4, 2013

I'm a Gardener Who Loves The Month of May

In just a little over two months the garden will be growing again, the leaves will be new and lush, the honey bees will be buzzing again, and the flowers will be glowing... I can hardly wait for May and rhubarb pie!  Last year I took this picture around the middle of May, and a couple days ago I put in on my computer as the background photo to give my gardener's soul hope for Spring.  Today we woke up to a beautiful and sunny March 4th day, it's 32 degrees outside, and there is frost on the ground.  The animals though are all thrilled to be in the sun and are lounging and soaking it up as much as they can.  Which is exactly what I'm headed out to do, it's a great day to be working in the orchard, so I'm off to prune the apple and pear trees, and to plant the remaining young fruit trees.

6 comments:

LuckyRobin said...

How are your bees doing? You don't talk about them very much.

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

I adore May too. For us, however, it's the end of the snow melting an we're just beginning to prep the gardens for an end of May planting. The asparagus starts to grow as well as any carrots that I seeded in the Fall. We also give the coop a nice cleaning which always makes everything so much better. The girls get so excited as they supervise us while hunting for bugs. :)

Ann said...

Hi! I've nominated you for a Liebster Award! Check out my blog post tomorrow about it. :-)

J. VanDyke said...

Oh how we are dreaming of spring in MI this year. The snow is not only hanging on but still coming down. I getting concerned of the good possibility of overgrowning our small greenhouses before we harden off and transplant outside this year!
http://afamilyoutoftheordinary.com/2013/03/20/a-whole-new-journey-or-so-i-hope/

Jewel said...

Thanks Frugal Hen for nominating us, I'll check you out.

J. VanDyke, I sure wish I had a greenhouse! Lucky you!! We've also had snow on the ground over the last week off and on, I'm so ready for it to go away. I hope we all get some sunny Spring weather soon!

Jewel said...

Lucky Robin, Sorry I didn't respond to your question about my honey bees sooner. My bees swarmed last summer, one hive survived going into winter. Then I discover they didn't make it back in January. I took the hive down to clean it up.

We're ordering two more packages of bees that will be arriving around the third week in April. I'll be spending time working on the hives and cleaning them up over then next couple of weeks. Much more to talk about after they arrive and the hum of life is back in the garden again