Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Puppies!

Summer went into labor yesterday on Columbus Day. Thankfully I was home and the kids were all home, so we all got to be with her as she gave birth, the timing was perfect.   When I went out to get fire wood from the wood shed around noon, there she was in the corner where she sleeps, she had been hanging out in here, (her bedroom), for the last few days.  It's a nice dry stall-like area right by the house, and doubles as a wood shed.  I went up to her and she whimpered, I looked down and saw she had just given birth to her first puppy, a little boy.  Quickly I gathered clean dry towels, a blanket, and told the kids.  We got her all clean and settled and began the 4 hours of labor and delivery. 

Having babies is exhausting.
4 puppies in all.  We waited until overnight, still has 4, so I think she's done.
 2 boys and 2 girls.
Glowing with happiness as a new mother.  Summer is such a good mom, she fusses over her babies continuously, and keeps them clean, warm, and well fed.  I have been her nurse, bringing her meat, cheese, eggs and milk, and of course her dry kibble and water.  I bring it right to her, she still hasn't gotten up.  More baby pictures soon, I want to keep one!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww. :) We have a Golden so when I saw these pictures I just melted.

Congratulations to Summer.

Jewel said...

Thanks Michelle, I just love them all. I plan to bring them inside for some time by the fire so we can all just watch them, and give Summer some special attention. It is such a precious time as a new mother, with animals and humans.

Anonymous said...

congrats to you all! proud mamas, both you and summer :)

would love to visit your place...especially now!

janya (from the grill)

goatgirl said...

How darling! There is nothing cuter than Golden puppies...I always say.
Of course you must keep one!

Unknown said...

oh my goodness how precious!! congrats Summer!! What a beautiful mommy and beautiful family <3