Monday, June 20, 2011

a gardener

I was once asked the question from someone I didn't know that well, "If you could describe yourself with one word, what would it be?"  hmmm... well I barely pondered it at all and blurted out "a gardener".

What a loaded question, how could I possibly describe myself with one word.  I have thought this over many times, why would I ever allow myself one word, I am so much more than just a gardener.  Then I would think, well I do like to nurture things and help them grow, feeding good food to children and animals or good soil to the plants I grow.  Am I not first and foremost a "Mother"  well that is one of my many variegated sides, but "a gardener" does feel quite noble too I must say.

A friend once said if he could come back as anything, he would come back as a peasant farmer, that sounds good to me.  I just want to live a quiet peaceful life in a place of my own, and a garden to grow flowers and good food.  I want farm animals for milk, eggs, butter, and meat, and the richness they add to our lives.

I don't need to travel to faraway places to find happiness, I find them right here at home being a gardener,
 a mother, a wife, a daughter, a sister, and a friend. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Article

Snohomish Shepherdess said...

This is a lovely post. I love what you say here and I have been thinking about it for the last few days. Knowing what you hold most dear and focusing on it is what you seem to be doing with your life right now and I so admire that. Thanks for sharing.

Jewel said...

Thanks Snohomish shepherdess I gave this question a lot of thought too. A great quote is "knowing what's important and what's unimportant are one of the things we're to learn in this life" Something like that.

I'd love to meet you sometime for a visit, since we don't live too far away. Perhaps the harvest season in late summer/early Fall.

Anonymous said...

I think you have a great page here… today was my first time coming here.. I just happened to find it doing a google search. anyway, good post.. I’ll be bookmarking this page for sure.