Monday, April 23, 2012

Bees


I can hardly wait until next Wednesday when the bees arrive, my garden doesn't feel the same without them in their corner buzzing about.   I've got two packages coming, each  are three pounds and will have their own queen.  Tomorrow I'll be going into Snohomish to visit Beez Neez, the nearby apiary store where I'll be getting more frames for setting up the hives before they arrive.  I'll also pick up some paint so I can give them a fresh coat of green, they say in our climate green is a good color to paint the hives, because we want our hives to warm in the sun.  The traditional white is great for sunnier and warmer areas of the country where you want the hive to cool, rather than absorb heat.  Any green will do, I have used the same color for the last six years.

The guys at Beez Neez also shared some new information about frames, so after I try them tomorrow I'll discuss more about them.  This will be a busy week getting ready, the bees will arrive just as many of my fruit tree blossoms are opening, and they'll have plenty of dandelions to feast on too.  Over the sunny weekend the dandelions began their annual bloom, and as a beekeeper you have a whole new outlook on dandelions as you watch the bees bring in the pollen from their flowers.  The pollen feeds their young as they grow and mature.  They will also gather pollen from the fruit tree blossoms, and in turn pollinate them for fruit, this year I'm hopeful for a bountiful season, and the bees are at the heart of it all.

This will be my sixth season raising bees, and my 4th season buying them.  I've learned so many lessons the hard way and lost bees along the way.  I have kept journals through each season with records of the successes and failures, and how to solve the problem the next time.  Working with bees over the years and those experiences are what it takes to learn this ancient art. I intend to keep at it and not give up.   One week to get ready!

2 comments:

Pasture Deficit Disorder said...

We just received our first bees ever on Sunday (same weekend we moved into our new house on our little homestead!). WOW! I totally get what all the excitement is about. I haven't found the right word yet to accurately describe how we feel when we're working with them. But whatever else it is, it is amazing!!

Pasture Deficit Disorder said...

We just received our first ever bees on Sunday (the same weekend we moved into out new house on our little homestead!). WOW! I finally understand what all the excitement is about. I haven't found the right word yet to accurately describe the feelings from working with them, but it is AMAZING!