Wednesday, January 26, 2011

the bees are flying



Today felt like spring in the garden it was sunny and 54 degrees, the bees were out in full force.  I checked both hives by peeking inside and lifting the upper deep hive box to see what was going on.  I found both deep boxes still full and heavy with winter honey, and way more bees than I thought I would find.   They are doing so much better than they ever have through the winter.  If all goes well I will go into Spring with strong colonies, and may even be able to divide them in half, and end up with 4 hives, which is my goal.  2 hives just barely gives enough honey for us to last through half the year, and to give some as gifts to family and friends.


2 comments:

Zev said...

Wow, 54 degrees already? And greens popping up in the garden? Is that usual for Washington?

http://swordsintoplows.blogspot.com

Jewel said...

Hi Zev, no this is not normal for this time of year. Although almost every January around the third week, we will have temps for a few days warm enough for the bees to fly, and me to garden. That's why I get spring fever so early. Sorrel and parsley are always the early bird greens of the year.