Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sourdough Cranberry Cake


This last week I had fun using my sourdough starter.  I made bread, cranberry muffins, and this cranberry cake.  The reason it turned into cranberry was because that's what I had in the house.  I made cranberries for dinner one night, and had some left, so into the muffins and cake they went.  I made the cake in a mold that I enjoy using, it turns out beautiful.
Sourdough is one of my favorite methods to bake with.  I usually use either half and half unbleached white flour and wheat flour, or I use all whole wheat flour.  I like to freshly grind wheat berries with my manual grain grinder, but don't as often as I should.  My children are all used to whole wheat, they've grown up with it.

If you missed my post on sourdough starter, just click here
Put the starter in a bowl;  add 2 cups of warm water and 2 1/2 cups of flour.  Mix well, set in a warm place overnight.   Remove one cup of the dough and put it back in the starter pot.

remaining sourdough
1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk (I used buttermilk, but any kind even evaporated will do)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup oil (canola) old timers used bacon grease
2 eggs
2 cups berries (I didn't have that much to put in)

Also you can vary if you don't have berries, you could make it a spice cake, and add 1 teaspoon each of cinnamon and vanilla, and a 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg or cloves.

Sourdough is very forgiving, and will turn out good and nutritious even with varying a recipe some.  You can also pour these into muffin tins.

Mix the flour, sugar, salt and soda in a bowl.  Mix eggs, oil and milk, and add to the remaining sourdough.  Mix well.  Add dry ingredient and mix thoroughly.  Then add the fresh, or frozen berries.
Grease cake pan, bake in a 375 degree oven for @ 40-45 minutes for cake, and around 30 minutes for muffins.

3 comments:

Carl Legge said...

That's a really beautiful cake - do you use a mold to get the design? It would make a lovely centrepiece for a party.

I found you via a google 'sourdough' search. What a lovely way of baking it is and so versatile. You might enjoy my step-by-step sourdough bread post

Saying 'Hi' to you from a very smallholding here in North Wales, UK.

Jewel said...

Hi Carl, I used a mold, it really turns out nice, and is good without frosting too. We like it for breakfast and snacks in between meals.

Nice to have visitors from the UK. I'll check out your sourdough step by step. Thanks

Kimberly said...

I would love to find a mold like that. It is simply beautiful. I also will have to note down your starter recipe. Looks delish! Thank you for sharing.