Friday, January 21, 2011

socked in and rainy


Looking through the upper meadow toward the big house surrounded by mist, one hundred percent humidity today.

Walking toward the barn to find warmth and a fire.

It rained steady all morning, we watched it from under cover as we had a second cup of coffee to ready ourselves for another day of living in a rain forest.  J walked the dogs in a downpour this morning, as I sat toastily by the stove.  I can sometimes be the indulgent one, who says, lets have a second cup of coffee and watch the rain together.  It's fun, we had work to do, but it could wait.  We live in the Pacific Northwest and it's naturally rainy here, I love it, plus it's a whole lot less rainy and cold than Juneau, Alaska where I spent 7 years growing up. This weather I could handle.  It's 45 degrees, my garden is starting to think it's spring, and so am I.  I get Spring Fever real early compared to most people, it hits me about now, and really goes into high gear on nice days in February and March. 

Our climate is fairly mild, though rainy, humid, socked in, foggy, soaked, grey, this is normal for us.  I just want my bees to survive, along with my 3 fig trees, they are fickle as well.  You never know, being a beginning beekeeper in the rainy Pacific Northwest, it's daunting at times, I have lost my bees 2 out of 4 winters, this winter, so far so good.

I have been researching Nigerian Dwarf milk goats as many of you know.  Today I spoke with Melissa who breeds nigerian dwarf goats in Sedro Wooley, she has a goat farm.  She also shows her goats, and is committed to excelling the breed.  We made plans to go look at her does and bucks next weekend.  She has 10 pregnant does, and 8 bucks, most nigerians deliver twins or triplets, so she'll have  many doelings and bucklings for sale.  The really good news, she said she may have a couple does in milk to sell, so hopefully we may see one or two we like.  I'll keep you posted, and will take pictures.

Today it rained all day, and is still raining here in the early evening.  As I walked around with the camera,  I found J sharpening his chisels, with his sidekick Sierra, our Great Pyrenees by his side.  I took a few pictures to share with you.


Some of the old faithful chisels used over the years helping to build and carve many a fine barn.


Sharpening system, to create a perfectly balanced blade.


A nice sharp blade, ready for use.

This is a time consuming process there are 7 different grits from start to finish, it takes time to properly sharpen a chisel.  Sharp chisels, and knowing how to sharpen them are important skills for timberframing.


Some old vintage chisels on our barn wall, that have yet to be sharpened for use.

No comments: